Using social media with crowd control: UK Metropolitan Police
Lessons from the largest police force in Britain.
Social media has long been a tool to express - and study - public sentiment on an issue. In this case study, we learn how the Metropolitan Police Service in London used social media sentiment analysis to quickly and accurately determine relevant issues and problem areas to look out for, to help them manage the high volume of traffic during the London Olympics period.
- Speed of understanding and operational awareness
- Accuracy of assessment leading to better informed operational decisions
- Ease of access to and assessment of public mood and opinion
- The ability to reach more efficient analysis, automatically providing more succinct information and allowing analyst time to be more focused on priorities
- The ability to reach more informed decisions at all levels of operation and command