According to a recent press release, The Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Institute (ASTRI) recently announced that at the International Exhibition of Inventions Geneva ASTRI won 21 awards.
Their accolades include four Gold Medals with Congratulations of the Jury, seven Gold medals, nine Silver medals and one Bronze medal.
The four ASTRI projects winning Gold Medals with Congratulations of the Jury are: Enhanced Mobile Edge Computing (MEC) with International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI) Acquisition; Separator Coated with Self Shutdown Layer of High Porosity for Lithium Ion Battery; Compact Spectrometer Having Reflective Wedge Structure; and Medical Image Data Analytics Platform.
ASTRI’s awards are among the awards won by the Hong Kong delegation of around 42 institutions and universities. This is a remarkable feat given that it is only the second time ASTRI has participated in this global event.
The CEO of ASTRI stated that ASTRI is honoured and delighted to stand out among many world-class inventors and institutions with 21 prestigious awards.
This recognition of ASTRI’s innovative endeavours once again demonstrates the institute’s R&D expertise and capability. While the city has increasingly embraced innovation and technology development in recent years, ASTRI continues to leverage its technical know-how to develop more applied solutions that benefit the public and the industries.
The awards won by ASTRI are:
Gold Medal with Congratulations of the Jury
- Enhanced Mobile Edge Computing (MEC) with International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI) Acquisition
2. Separator Coated with Self Shutdown Layer of High Porosity for Lithium Ion Battery
3. Compact Spectrometer Having Reflective Wedge Structure
4. Medical Image Data Analytics Platform
- High accuracy low power time and frequency synchronisation methods for Bluetooth Low Energy wireless communication system
6. Nomadic Mobile Base Station for Emergency Service
7. Three Dimensional Fully Moulded Power Electronics Module for High Power Applications and the Method Thereof
8. Intelligent industry robot: 3D vision & cognition
9. Integrated Bi-sensing Optical Structure for Head Mounted Display
10. Efficient and Robust Human Detection/Tracking Method and System with Video Input
11. Mobile Biometrics Authentication Technology
- Sampling frequency offset tracking based on decision feedback channel estimation
13. Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Network, Security and Positioning
14. Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything (C-V2X) System for Road Safety and Smart Mobility Applications
15. 3D Power Device Packages for High Frequency Power Conversion
16. Micro-nano Structured Nano-size Aggregate Encapsulated in Micro-size Conglomerate for Conductivity Electrode
17. Method for Error Correction for a Multicast Message
18. Multi-location Learning Activity State Management for Distance Education
19. Machine Learning Artificial Character Generation
20. Efficient and Accurate Named Entity Recognition Method and System
- Modified Pseudo-Cylindrical Mapping of Spherical Video Using Linear Interpolation of Empty Areas for Compression of Streamed Images
The International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva is acknowledged as the most prestigious and coveted event for inventors around the world. This year, around 1,000 new inventions and products have been showcased by more than 800 exhibitors from 40 countries and territories. Well over 31,000 visitors from all five continents made this the single largest innovation expo in the world.
Manifesting Hong Kong’s Smart City goals
According to Hong Kong’s Smart City Blueprint, the HKSAR Government aims to develop new economic pillars by promoting R&D and re-industrialisation.
This includes developing a plan for the setting up of key technology collaborative platforms and bring in internationally-renowned universities, research institutes and I&T companies. An example of this is ASTRI’s participation in the The International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva, which is likely to help establish new partnerships and collaborative efforts with other countries and companies.