The University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) is among the 14 schools in the Philippines that are expected to benefit from the second implementation of a scholarship program from the Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP).
According to a recent press release, the DBP Resources for Inclusive and Sustainable Education (DBP RISE) scholarship program supports students taking up priority courses.
These priority courses include:
- Information Technology
- Marine Biology
- Environmental Sciences
- Real Estate Management
The University, together with its counterpart universities and colleges signed their respective Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with DBP.
The MOA is a testament of the mutual endeavour and commitment to empower the youth and help them become successful and conscientious individuals.
Supporting Students of the Future
The scholarship program in Philippines aims to help brilliant but underprivileged students and equip them to become partners for the national development.
By becoming one of DBP’s partner schools, UPLB will have 30 scholarship slots for undergraduate students in engineering.
DBP will shoulder their tuition fees, board and lodging, cost of living, and expenses acquired during review for licensure exams.
The Office of Student Affairs-Scholarships and Financial Assistance Division (OSA-SFAD) will administer the scholarship.
On behalf of the partner schools, Dr. Portia G. Lapitan, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and representative of Chancellor Fernando C. Sanchez, Jr., expressed commitment to the project.
She recognised the role of the partner schools in providing the necessary skills, knowledge, and expertise for students to become successful and capable of finding sound and sustainable solutions to the country’s concerns.
What is DBP RISE Scholarship Program Philippines?
- Qualified and deserving high school graduates are given scholarships in DBP RISE-accredited schools to provide educational opportunities to the best and brightest but marginalised high school graduates.
- At the same time, it will strengthen institutional relationships with Program partners.
- In creative collaboration with selected partners, the youth are moulded into honest, responsible, empowered, productive and competitive global citizens.
- On the premise that labour is the most important asset of the poor, DBP RISE shall produce a pool of qualified and highly skilled professionals to serve the needs of the local and global job markets.
The eligible beneficiaries of the DBP RISE Scholarship should meet the following criteria:
- Incoming Freshmen or continuing financially-challenged students for the pertinent school year
- Not presently enjoying any form of scholarship/stud grant
- Filipinos of good moral character to be supported by a letter of recommendation from the high school Principal
- Belongs to indigent family with annual family income not to exceed One Hundred Fifty Thousand Pesos (PHP 150,000 or US$ 2,912.47)
- Has a general average of at least 85% with no grade below 80% as shown in the Secondary Report Card to be stated in letter of recommendation from high school Principal (for degree courses only)
- Passes the Partner School’s entrance/admission/medical/dental/physical examinations