The Philippines’ Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) has recently launched a mobile application that provides users information on the different technical-vocational education and training (TVET) programs being offered by the agency.
According to a recent press release, TESDA partnered with a company through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to develop the application.
The mobile app
The self-branded app will show e-learning video clips from the TESDA Online Program (TOP). It will also provide a plethora of information that includes the following:
- Latest news about the programs of the agency
- List of training programs
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- Addresses of the registered training centres
- Regional and provincial office directory
Moreover, the app also has buttons that directly link to the steps on how to apply for the different TESDA scholarships and other features such as the TESDA Women’s Center.
The President of the company expressed how honoured they were to work with the agency on this project.
The company’s platform was utilised in order to organise the Agency’s wide range of learning programs as content in a mobile app.
It will make it easier for Filipinos to discover available courses, which they might be interested in.
Who are involved?
The company is an affiliate of a company based in the USA, which helps its clients build contextual and adaptive mobile platforms.
These features can be seen in the app as it enables real-time app updates, dynamic design, and content changes based on location and schedule.
TESDA Secretary Isidro Lapeña further recognised the company’s initiative to help the agency bridge information needs and extend its services to more people in a more advanced and more modern platform, which is online.
The partnership between the two is a reflection of their shared vision to make learning more accessible for the Filipino community, empowering them and paving the way for various employment opportunities.
Leveraging digital tech
The TESDA app has become very timely and relevant as more and more people rely on their mobile phones for communication and information.
The Agency will be able to connect closer to the younger clients, which are the youth, who are usually online. They will be happy with this mobile app.
The mobile application is now available for download in both Google Play and Apple Stores.
This application puts TESDA together with other government agencies that also have mobile applications up and running. These agencies are:
- The Social Security System (SSS) with their SSS Mobile
- The Department of Science and Technology – Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (DOST-PAGASA) with their DOST-PAGASA Mobile App
- The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHILVOCS) with their Fault Finder.
Like these agencies, TESDA wants to utilise smart phone applications, modern technology, and trends to effectively and conveniently share information and services, and communicate with mobile users.
TESDA is responsible for several functions. These are:
- Formulates manpower and skills plans
- Sets appropriate skills standards and tests
- Coordinates and monitors manpower policies and programs
- Provides policy directions and guidelines for resource allocation for the TVET institutions in both the private and public sectors